Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Painted Sunset

In February of 2008, I had the opportunity to travel to Egypt with three friends.  At the time I was living and teaching English in South Korea; it was the perfect opportunity, and probably once in a lifetime chance to visit Egypt.

The photo in this post was taken the evening we arrived in Alexandria.  It is of the Mediterranean at dusk, and is one of my favourite shots.  For this photo, I played around slightly with sharpness, but mostly adjusted the colouring of the sky.  The original shot wasn't as orangey - it was a little lighter and softer, but still pretty in my opinion.

I sometimes wonder at photography editors - those who adjust colours and tones and saturations, etc.  God has created beautiful work with His sunsets (and sunrises); who are we to make changes to His work that has been captured on film?  I will admit that the guiltiness was there for a brief time while I worked at this photo.  I guess I'm not really adjusting God's work, but the image that was captured on a camera that didn't turn out quite right.  The good Lord definitely does do beautiful work, and I always enjoy seeing just what He creates in the sky when the sun rises and sets.

I would like to take more shots of sunrises and sunsets; it's something I want to become better at, but I need to scout out some really good locations.  Just snapping pictures off the back deck with the house in back in all the shots just doesn't do it for me.  I would like to get more shots like the one above, or ones with trees or other pieces of nature in them as well - you know, a beautiful scenic shot at sunrise or sunset.

Do you have a favourite location to shoot sunrises/sunsets?  What is your favourite photo you've taken at these times of day?  Let me know in the comments!