Sunday, September 13, 2009

A Dahlia

I see I forgot to post something yesterday.  I had intentions, but ended up going out for the evening and it was late when I got back.

This photo is one of the dahlias from my mom's garden.  She (and my dad when he was alive) grows several different kinds or varieties of this type of flower.  This little one is called a collarette (though I don't have any idea how to spell it). 

I adjusted the lighting of the picture slightly, but it was quite bright anyway because it was placed on the coffee table in front of the bay window with the morning sun shining in on it.  I also cropped it a little at the top and the bottom.

I had played around with darkening the colours and the overall look of the photo, but I didn't like the way it looked.  I was trying to capture the brightness of the sun shining in on the flower.

I've got several photos of many of the dahlias in m mom's garden, most of them haven't been edited though since I just got PSE 7 this past week.  I have a long way to go to learn how to edit and use this program, as well as knowing what to do to "fix" a photo.  I am enjoying the process so far - if my computer doesn't freeze up!

Today I had some problems when I was trying to edit another dahlia photo I took this evening.  I would try one thing and the computer would freeze.  Then I'd try it again and it would freeze.  The next time I would try something different and it would work, but I'd go to do something else and it would freeze up again.  I know I have enough memory on my laptop, but I don't know what's causing the program (and my computer) to freeze up.  This happened a couple of times when I first got the program, but then it would work for a long while.  Then, tonight, it started acting up again.  I'm going to defrag the laptop and see if that helps any.  If anyone has any idea on what could be causing this, please let me know in the comments.

Off to attempt PSE again and see if I can be successful!  Happy photographing!