Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sunflowers

Not long ago, there was an article in our local paper about a farmer who had planted his fields with sunflowers. He has seven acres of them. It went on to say that this was the first year he had planted them, and his plan was to harvest them to make sunflower oil (I think that's what he'd said). It's really more of an experiment for him, but if it works out, he might plant them again next year. I hope so! Sadly, at this point in the summer, many of the sunflowers are starting to dye down. If he does plant them again next year, I'm going earlier in the season.

On the weekend, I went with another photographer friend to take some photos of another friend and her daughter. We decided to go to the sunflower field and take some shots (my photographer friend had asked permission earlier in the day). While there, I took some photos of the sunflowers. The above image is one of them.

I know this isn't a unique photo, but I like it. Unfortunately, for any number of reasons, most of my photos didn't turn out (it could have been the time of day - around 6:30pm, - my ISO setting, aperture, the lens I used...anything). I was quite disappointed; however, it was a learning lesson for me.  Looking at this photo, I wish I had gone in closer so that the flowers were more prominent in the shot. But, I still like the photo.